Cinnamon rolls are another traditional Nordic recipe. They are called korvapuusti in Finnish or kanelbullar in Swedish and made with a raised dough seasoned with black cardamom. The dough serves as a base for many Nordic pastries. It contains baker’s yeast and must rise twice before cooking, so you will need some time to make these beauties.
Veganizer’s tip: This recipe is easily veganizable. Use water for the liquid and replace butter with oil. If you want to avoid refined sugar, you could use whole sugar insted. And in the end, just forget about the egg wash.
5 dl water (or milk)
180 g sugar
10 g salt
50 g fresh yeast
18 g dehydrated yeast
10 g de coarse black cardamome
900 g flour
200 g de unsalted butter
some flour for baking
100 g salted butter
4 cs cinnamon
100 g sugar
- Put the flour, the sugar, the salt, the cardamome and the yeast in the mowl of a mixer and knead until it comes away the sides of the bowl.
- Add the butter and mix, first slowly and then increasing the speed a little bit until the dough comes off the sides again and comes together in a smooth ball. This step can take up to 20 minutes.
- Let the dough at room temperature for an hour or so. Then place it on the floured worktop and knead with your hands to chase all air in it. Roll it up in plastic wrap and leave it cool down for a few hours or overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. In order to regenerate the gluten structure, you might want to flatten the dough with the rolling pin, fold it and flatten it again two or three times before spreading it out into a 40 x 50 cm rectangle.
- Soften the butter and mix it with the sugar and cinnamon. Spread this mixture on the dough.
- Roll up the dough lengthwise. Cut into slices of 2 to 4 cm with a sharp knife as shown here: / \ / \ / \ / \
- Place the pieces on a parchment paper covered plate, press hard with your fingers in the middle and brush with egg wash. Let rise about 1h30.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush on the egg wash one more time and sprinkle pearl sugar on the buns, then bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.